304 E. Third St. Alton
THIS PROGRAM IS FULL. Must purchase book (Details listed below).
Alton YWCA is happy to present the Witnessing Whiteness book discussion closed group. Using the book, group members will explore:
- the history and construction of white racial identity,
- community building within white spaces,
- white culture and values and how US national culture reflects and largely rests of white culture, practices, and values,
- manifestations of white supremacy and privilege,
- cross-racial communication, conflict, and relationship-building,
- activation of white solidarity and accountability.
NOTE: Parking is available on the street and also on the lot to the east of the building. You may use the main entrance on 3rd Street, or the accessible entrance on the east side of the building.
- Witnessing Whiteness: The Need To Talk About Race and How To Do It by Shelly Tochluk, 2nd Edition. The books are available at Left Bank Books in the Central West End and you will receive a 20% discount if you use this link: http://www.left-bank.com/book/9781607092575. You can also purchase in person, just let them know that you are a part of this Witnessing Whiteness group and they will apply the discount. The book is also available from other book sellers.
- A journal or paper and pen
DATES AND CHAPTERS:
August 18 – Preface and Introduction
August 25 – Chapter 1
September 8 – Chapter 2
September 22 – Chapter 3
October 6 – Chapter 4
October 13 – Chapter 5
October 27 – Chapter 6
November 10 – Chapter 7
November 24 – Chapter 8
December 8 – Chapter 9